Chester Courthouse46450 OH-248
Chester, Ohio 45720
740-992-2622 | http://www.chestercourthouse.com/
The Chester Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Ohio and is the home of the Chester Shade Historical Society.
The Chester Courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Ohio and is the home of the Chester Shade Historical Society. The site includes both the courthouse and the Chester Academy, which houses a genealogy archive, event space, and offices.
Built in 1823, the Chester courthouse was the first justice building for the seat of Meigs county. It was used until 1841, when the seat was moved to nearby Pomeroy. The courthouse then fell into disarray, going without renovation until 1920. A grant allowed for major renovations to be made, making the courthouse open to the public in 2001. Inside is a museum filled with Meigs county artifacts, including replica buildings, industrial equipment, and an exhibit on the local salt industry.
In 2001, the Chester-Shade Historical Society was founded, housing itself in the Chester Academy next door. The Academy was built in 1840 and trained the teachers from the surrounding area as well as serving as a K-12 school. The Academy can be rented for events, and hosts the meetings of Meigs County’s Daughters of America.
The Chester-Shade Historical Society conducts tours of both buildings upon request. The society offers occasional programs in history, heritage crafts, and folk art.